Home Forums Feature Requests Auto fit new project between two existing ones

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

Thanks for a great product! My biggest issue with it, though, is the difficulty of going back through my day to add in any time I forgot or that ran over. For example, I might have left a certain project running for five hours straight even though it was only actually 46 minutes of work. The compounding factor here is that I like to track exactly, down to the minute, rather than in nice 30 minute chunks, for example.

So, it would be great if there was a hole in my day and dropping a project in would automatically snap both sides (e.g., if the one before ended at 10:19am and the one after started at 12:14pm, then this one would automatically fit in from 10:19-12:14). Right now, I have to right-click and edit on each of the other projects on both ends to see when they started and finished, then right click and edit my new one to fit it in.

Maybe even easier would simply be a new snap mode that’s snap to any other project you touch rather than snap to a certain minute increment.

Thanks very much!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting suggestion. I’ve had to correct a lot of tasks after interruptions and such and there have definitely been cases that fall into this category you describe. A “snap to adjacent projects” might be a good alternative to a simple default time increment for new tasks. Perhaps they can coexist together (allow snap to nearby entry when available, else default to time X). Say your default time entry is 1 hour. If there is a task before but not after where you drop a new entry it could snap to the location immediately following the last entry and create a 1 hour task. Same for a task after the timeline spot you drop the task on. And as you suggest a task dropped between two others might snap there. It would probably be good idea if “tearing it away” when it tries to snap returns it to “just put me where you want me” mode. I believe I’ve seen behavior like this in other applications but can’t recall a specific one.

This made me think of a similar concept. Most frequently the issue for me is that I get interrupted and I forget to switch at the correct time. I have adjacent time entries, they just transition at the wrong time. What I really want to do is drag the boundary between the two time entries and have it resize both simultaneously.

Of course some people actually want to have overlapping time entries, and you have to account for the fact that sometimes people want to create “gaps” between projects. So I’m not sure exactly how to accommodate the new feature while still being able to purposely create gaps and handle other use models such as overlapping tasks. But I can honestly say that at least 90% of the time when I’m manually having to edit my timeline what I really want to do is move the boundary between two adjacent time entries.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Registered so that I could add my vote for this feature. Couldn’t have put it better myself. Please consider this, it would save me so much time!

Anonymous
    Inactive

We are looking into integration with Drop Box as well as other options.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it would be nice if you could set a preference to turn overlapping time entries on or off (some of us never want this to happen). If you have an entry that breaks that rule, just have an option for that entry that says “allow to overlap with other entries” or something like that, so you can do a one-off exception.

Also, would be nice to set the default minimum time increments. My company makes us track in .25 hour increments. If the app could force that, so nothing is less than .25 hours, that would be helpful. Others might prefer .5 or 1 hour increments. Setting that in the prefs, as well, would be very handy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would be very helpful to us if we were able to reset the time tracked each month as well as have a different page for time entries for each month. We have a certain amount of support built into our clients’ contracts which resets every month, and while we do use the TeamConnector, it’s still a little difficult to see where we’re at on an individual basis.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.